- Apr 25, 2022
Americans are starting new businesses at a record-breaking pace, with more than 5 million business applications recorded in 2021. The US Small Business Administration will recognize the contributions of America’s entrepreneurial enterprises during National Small Business Week (NSBW), May 1-7, 2022. The Chamber will join in the festivities by turning a spotlight on unique local businesses that are the foundation of our local economy. It’s also an ideal time to review small business resources available from the Chamber and other local agencies.
The United States is home to 32.5 million independent businesses with fewer than 500 employees, employing nearly half of all US workers. For decades, Northbrook has attracted a diverse range of small manufacturers, retailers, and other enterprises thanks to its proximity to transportation and available space for development. Those businesses, including the majority of Northbrook Chamber members, are essential to the economic vitality of the community through their commercial property taxes, employment opportunities, and retail sales taxes. Village President Kathryn Ciesla will issue a proclamation in honor of local small businesses on April 26.
The Small Business Administration offers a free NSBW virtual summit May 2-5, with the theme “Building a Better America Through Entrepreneurship.” Presented in partnership with SCORE, the national business mentorship organization, the NSBW event offers sessions to facilitate access to federal resources, educational workshops, and networking. Participants are welcome to pick and choose as many sessions as they like at no charge. SCORE volunteer mentors are experienced entrepreneurs who provide free business advice to small business owners across the spectrum of industries; learn more about their counseling services at northchicago.score.org.
The Chamber is an outstanding investment for small businesses, with a variety of programs and platforms to advance their marketing, networking, and educational goals:
- Participation in the Business Expo provides the in-person opportunity to demonstrate your products or explain your services to a broad, engaged audience.
- First Friday Breakfasts and Business After Hours events allow business owners to build relationships with professionals from all types of companies.
- Business listings on the Chamber website provide community connection and credibility, in addition to boosting the SEO of the member’s own website.
- Listings and advertisements in the annual Northbrook Community Guide place your company’s name in homes, businesses, and high-traffic destinations throughout the Village.
- Chamber social media platforms and eblasts amplify your business’s announcements and keep you informed of news and events.
David Telisman, David Telisman Communications, credits his Chamber participation with helping him develop his startup business. “My business celebrates its fifth anniversary this month, and the Chamber has been the greatest catalyst for its success,” shares David. “I was a networking “newbie”, but events like the First Friday Breakfast gave me exposure to leadership and members, who have become mentors, advocates, and friends, and their support has made all the difference.”
Watch the Chamber’s Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn during NSBW for features on several of our community’s outstanding small businesses. Want to participate? Contact Carolyn Gessner, firstname.lastname@example.org or 847 513 6005.