- Nov 20, 2019
The North Shore is filled with excitement in December, as residents, businesses and visitors gear up for the holidays. Families with young children look for opportunities to make lasting memories together, while adults enjoy socializing at holiday parties and cultural programs. Many Chamber members are at the forefront of the action with special events for all ages.
Fill your December calendar with these festive activities in Northbrook and the surrounding area:
- For a one-of-a-kind experience, the Chicago Botanic Garden will dazzle guests with “Lightscape,” a new after-dark illuminated display. First presented in London in 2018, the show is making its US debut at the Botanic Garden. A mile-long path leads visitors through spectacular settings filled with colored lights, evocative sounds, and a spirit of celebration. The display is open through January 5; tickets are available at ChicagoBotanic.org.
- Holiday traditions provide a gathering point for families throughout the season. Parents, grandparents, and kids will enjoy creating unique gingerbread houses together at the Northbrook Park District’s annual workshop on Wednesday, December 11 from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
Music lovers enjoy a wide range of holiday concerts to capture the essence of the season:
- The Northbrook Symphony Orchestra presents its annual holiday concert on December 7 at 7:00 p.m. in partnership with The Lira Singers at Our Lady of the Brook Worship Center.
- Campanella Children’s Choir performs with the Lincolnwood Chamber Orchestra on December 8 at 4:00 p.m. at the Glenview New Church.
- Enjoy holiday carols with your dinner when Trattoria Oliverri welcomes the Just Harmony choir on December 11 at 5:30 p.m.
- The entire Glenbrook North Music Department — choirs, bands, and orchestras — comes together for a performance at the high school auditorium on December 17 at 7:30 p.m., culminating in a heartwarming combined rendition of “White Christmas.”
If a visit with Santa is on the family’s to-do list, several Chamber members have scheduled appearances by the Jolly Old Elf:
- Northbrook Court has daily Santa hours through Christmas Eve, with the ability to pre-schedule photo appointments on NorthbrookCourt.com. Pet lovers can bring their furry family members for pictures on Monday evenings December 2, 9 and 16.
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet along with a chat with Santa at the Hilton Chicago/Northbrook on December 1, 8, and 15 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
- BHHS Koenig Rubloff offers photos with Santa, dreidel games and treats while collecting Toys for Tots on December 7 from 9:00 a.m. to noon.
- At the North Suburban YMCA, kids can say hello to Santa and Mrs. Claus and also participate in a a fun community service project on December 7 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- The Northbrook Park District will host both breakfast and lunch with Santa on December 7 at the Leisure Center, including singalongs, holiday crafts, and photos.
- Northbrook Dairy Queen is holding a party with Santa and Mrs. Claus on December 10 from 6:30 to 8:30, with free activities, goodie bags, and discounts on dinner.
Ring in the New Year with a special celebration.
- The Hilton Chicago/Northbrook will host a glamorous New Year’s Eve party in its newly remodeled ballroom, with special packages available for overnight guests.
- Pinstripes will celebrate with live music, party favors, and balloon drops at 8:00 p.m. and midnight.
- Children will enjoy partying earlier in the day at the Northbrook Public Library with a celebration that starts at 11:00 a.m. with games and ends with a balloon drop at Noon.
If your business is hosting a holiday event, let us help spread the word. Contact Carolyn Gessner, email@example.com, for your event to be shared through the Chamber’s social media platforms.